Bible Based Spelling
Gamequarium-Great On-Line Educational Games
Look Cover Write Check-Awesome UK program for spelling!
Musical Spelling Rules
Pro Teacher Spelling Lesson Plans
7th Grade Integrated Block
Spelling and Vocabulary
Spelldown-Great Spelling Game
Spelling Lesson Plans
Spelling Strategies:Learning High Frequency Words
The Oley School Spelling
1. ABC order- Write your words in alphabetical order.
2. Rainbow Words - Write your words in three colors
3. Backwards Words- Write your words forwards, then
4. Silly sentences -Use all your words in ten sentences
5. Picture words - Draw a picture and write your words in the
6. Words without Vowels - Write your words replacing all
vowels with a line.
7. Words without Consonants - Same as above but replace
consonants with lines.
8. Story words - Write a short story using all your words.
9. Scrambled words -Write your words, then write them again
with the letters mixed up. See if a friend can unscramble it.
10. Wordsearch II -Make a wordsearch with a friend, then trade
11. Wordsearch I - Complete a word pre-made search.
12. Crossword - Complete a pre-made crossword puzzle.
13. Surround words - Write your words on graph paper and
outline in colors.
14. Ransom words - Write your words by cutting out letters in
a newspaper or magazine and glue them on a paper.
15. Pyramid Words - Write your words adding or subtracting one
letter at a time. The result will be a pyramid shape of
16. Words-in-words - Write your word and then write at least 2
words made from each.
17. Delicious words - Write your words in whipped cream,
peanut butter,or anything you can eat! Bring in a
note from a parent!
18. Good Clean Words -Write your words in shaving cream on a
counter or some other surface that can be cleaned
19. Dirty Words - Write your words in mud or sand.
20. Pasta Words - Write your words by arranging alphabet pasta
or Alphabits. Glue on paper or bring me a note from a parent
and do on a table or counter at home.
21. Reversed words - Write your words in ABC order -backwards!
22. 3D words - Use modeling clay rolled thinly to make your
words. Bring a note if done at home.
23. Create an activity - Can you think of a fun way to do your
spelling activities? Try it out!
24. Puzzle words - Use a blank puzzle form. Write your words
on the form, making sure that the words cross over the
pieces. Then cut them out ( color if you wish) and put them
in a baggie with your name on it. When you and a friend have
completed your puzzles, trade and put them back together.
25. Magazine words - Use an old magazine or newspaper and find
your word. Cut it out and glue it on paper.
26. Cheer your words - Pretend you are a cheerleader and call
out your words! (We will do this as a group activity.)
Sometimes you'll yell, sometimes you'll whisper! If
you want to do this at home with a parent, get them to send me
a note that you've done it.
27. Sound Words - Use a tape recorder and record your words
and their spelling. Then listen to your tape, checking
to see that you spelled all the words correctly.
28. X Words - Write two words having one common letter so they
29. Other Handed - If you are right-handed, write with your
left, or vice versa.
30. Choo-Choo Words - Write the entire list end-to-end as one
long word, using different colors of crayon or ink for
31. Silly String - With a long length of string, "write" words
in cursive, using the string to shape the letters.
32. Backwriting - Using your finger, draw each letter on a
partners' back, having the partner say the word when
33. Telephone Words - Translate your words into numbers from a
34. Flashwriting - In a darkened room, use a flashlight to
draw letters in the air.
35. Newspaper Words - Search a newspaper page from top to
bottom, circling each letter of a word as you find it.
36. 30 Second Words - Write a TV commercial using all the
words from your list.
37. Popsicles - Make words using popsicle sticks.
38. Secret Agent Words - Number the alphabet from 1 to 26,
then convert your words to a number code.
39. Etch-A-Word - Use an Etch-A-Sketch to write your words.
40. Morse Code - Convert your words to Morse Code
More Spelling Acitvities
1. paint words
2. draw pictures and label five of the words
3. write words in a bingo form I created and laminated so the group who has
the same words can play bingo the next day.
4. Flip folder where you write check and rewrite word
5. Type or wordprocess words
6. alphabetical order
7. stamping letters with ink (alphabet stamps are available most places)
8. writing letters with two colors of marker
19. finger spelling words to partner
10. writing words on graph paper and filling in other letters to make a
word search for partner
11. writing words in a crossword style to be solved by partner.
12.. write words in sentences using as many as possible per sentence